PLANNING FOR IST BIRTHDAY PARTY IDEAS
When planning a Ist birthday party. it is easy to go crazy and plan all kinds of games and activities that your 1yr old simply can’t enjoy at this stage – I know I did the first time round. We had a bubble machine which I thought was a fabulous idea and I was really excited about it, but by the end of the party said machine was full of grass and that was that!
My top tip is therefore keep it simple. My hints and tips for not going crazy when throwing a 1st birthday party are:
- Make at least some healthy food; even though its a party other parents will appreciate being able to give their baby something nutritious. I go for fruit, wholemeal bread for sandwiches, homemade oat and fruit biscuits and humus. I still do the more ‘fun’ party food too
- Remember its a kids party and don’t worry too much about the adults although a glass of prosecco always goes down well!
- Only make the cake yourself if you really do have lots of time. It always seems to take longer than they say in the book
- Don’t worry too much about theming the party the babies won’t notice if the napkins don’t say ‘Happy Birthday’. However, if you do fancy a theme I suggest keeping it simple and choosing something easy to do like Pirates, Fairys or Princesses or a mix of them all. That way you will be able to easily buy what you need and won’t have to make too much unless you want to.
- If there are older siblings also at the party remember this when it comes to party bags. They will be looking forward to these. I fully recommend the pound shop or Wilkinsons for these.
- For baby party bags I recommend a little bath toy, a healthy snack (bear paws, plum teenies or something similar) and a piece of cake
- If there are older children coming I think you need an activity so I recommend playing a simple game such as pass the parcel or pin the tail on the donkey
- I don’t recommend letting your little one open presents during the party as it just takes ages and they don’t know what it going on
- Arrange the party for after your baby’s main nap so that they are happy as it is all a bit overwhelming for them
- If older siblings will be coming put away most of your kids toys and only leave out the sturdy stuff. Toys lead to no sharing and then fighting
Try to enjoy the day. It will only happen once for that little one and it is a really special time.
Oh and one more thing remember there will be photos so take a second to wipe off the baby snot – I speak from experience having forgotten this